Friday, 12 February 2010

The Next Best Thing

This is a story solely used for illustration. Was inspired when I cried myself to sleep last night.

Once upon a time there was a little Angel who had served God faithfully since she was a lisping baby they called Cupid. She had this secret dream and she conveyed it to the Father.

She prayed for God to give her something or even a taste of that sense of security, a thing that could provide comfort and give her the feeling of falling in love.She wondered what it would be like.



God gave the little Angel a beautiful piece of blue cloud cut from the heavens. She touched it, it ran away and she chased after it merrily...She clambered on top of it, she hugged it, (it was like the softest fluffy pillow)then laughed and buried her head in it.

Little Cupid played with the cloud all day long and she never got tired of it. When she was weary after a day of duties, she would talk to it, cry into it when she was sad or hug it with joy when she was happy. She rested her head on it every single night and it floated high above into the vast skies with the stars all twinkling merrily above her, it gave her the prettiest dreams right there.

Cupid had no need to be afraid of falling off as she knew her cloud would always be there to catch her and let her come to no harm.

As she grew older, Cupid loved her little piece of cloud more than ever and never went to any place without it.

One fine day, the Father sought to see Cupid and Cupid went to Him holding her cloud close at her heart.

"Oh Father, thank you so so~much for giving me this precious gift! I've never been so happy in my life~!!!" she exclaimed.

The Father smiled at her and asked her, "What if I need to take it back?"

"You're joking,"laughed Cupid. "It's a present to me, how can You just take it back like that?"

The Father shook His head and stretched out His hand.

"Cupid, this is not a joke. This is a special cloud I enchanted and equipped with special abilities to help people. Someone else needs it now," He explained.

"More than you do." He added gently.

Tears rolled down Cupid's face and she pleaded.

"But you made this one for me. Can't you make some more for those people out there?" she cried.



The Father hugged her and bade her to come up on His knee.

"My dear Cupid, I know you are not a selfish angel. I made you this way. I requested for this one because it is very special and I will use it to do great things." He petted her head.

"You enjoyed it and it is time to share this joy with others," He stated.

"But it was the best thing that happened to me! Ever!" said little Cupid.

" There will be better things to come as you grow up. Meanwhile, do your duties faithfully and trust that I will take care of all your needs. Learn to love me more and wait for the Next Best Thing I will give you," said the Father.

And Cupid understood.

No comments: